Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Music Reviews - Recent Hindi Songs

It's been a while since I reviewed Music in my blog, so here are my views on some of them (I didnt write about all of them - If you like anything that is absent here, please do comment about it/them):

Dus:
Dus Bahane by Shaan(aka Shaantanu Ghosh) and Kay Kay(aka Krishna Kumar Menon). Cool Music! The extended version is also good.
Deedar De by Sunidhi is very average. Talking about Sunidhi, here is an interview with her. I consider the Tamil singer, Malathi, to have similar vocal characteristics as Sunidhi. Both of them are good in high-pitched and peppy numbers, whereas Malathi is kind of getting stereo-typed with item numbers and is not getting many good songs. She's got the potential, but needs a good break, I think.
Unse Poochein - Very average song, even the amazing Duet stars Udit and Alka, couldnt add lustre to it. Vishal-Sekhar could have done better, there have been thousands of such songs and am sick and tired of such songs. Skip IT!
Jaaniye Ve - Just ok, sung by Hariharan and Mahalakshmi Iyer. Mahalakshmi is a quite talented singer, although she is among the under-rated ones too. I see her once in a while in SEL's compositions and otherwise not much. Just bad luck, is it?


Mashooka Mashooka (English Version) - Cool song! Sung by Wajid, Nisha, Joy.
I thought the other songs in this soundtrack were just normal.

D:
Some of the songs are good, some of them are quite different (esp. the ones by Prasanna Sekhar - Is he the Prasanna who plays the Guitar and who graduated from IIT, Madras?)
D. Tox [Main Bindaas Ho Jaaoon] - Pretty funny song. Worth a listen. It's just got dialogues and some music in the background.
D. Rox - Reminds me of the Matrix Spybreak soundtrack. That song had been choreographed really well - walking up the walls and stuff like that, and that really stands out even today. If they do something like that to this song, it will be really cool. I like this song because it's got a good and decent foot-tapping background track with Indian instruments here and there and there is an element of thrill added into the soundtrack. Good work by Prasanna.
Other songs are just average.

Paheli:
Was a bit let down with the music by M.M.Kreem (aka Keeravani). Didnt like any of the songs!

Parineeta:
Amazing soundtrack. Good music by Shantanu Moitra(Read an interview with him here).
Piya Bole - Amazing soundtrack and beautifully sung by Sonu and Shreya. When I first heard this song, this is what I noticed: Saif starts off the song and then I was expecting Shaan to take over, but was a bit surprised to hear Sonu's voice. Off late Saif's songs have been done by Shaan. But later realized that Sonu can also sing for Saif and it seemed a bit seemless, although not as perfect as Shaan would've been!
Kasto Mazza - Beautiful Song, sung by Sonu and Shreya again. Didnt like the beginning of the song, but the song as such is very good.
Kaisi Paheli Zindagi - Excellent song, sung by Sunidhi. I like the free flow of the song. Excellent composition by Shantanu Moitra. I would like to listen to such songs in a beach setting.
Raat Hamari Toh - Good Melody by Chitra and Swanand. Chitra's voice seems to get better with her age. I used to hate her for sometime (maybe because I was hearing a lot of her), but in this song and some of the previous ones she seems very likeable.
Hui Main Parineeta - Seems like a very difficult song to sing. Proves the mettle of both Sonu and Shreya.
Overall, an excellent album. Correction to what I had written earlier, Shantanu has already MDed two films (Leela and Hazaron Khwaishen Aisi).

Jaane Hoga Kya:
Dil Dhak Dhak Karne Laga (Remix) and Dil Dhak Dhak Karne Laga (Remix)
- Seems interesting! Good peppy dance songs.

Nazar:
Ali Ali
- Good song by Shubha Mudgal. It's been a while since I heard her voice. A good Khawali type of song.
Nazar Nazar (Remix) - Good Dance number sung by Kay Kay. But for some reason I keep thinking that this is a song (and the Nazar Nazar song) that I have heard somewhere - Have they reused the lyrics or the music?

Will stop at this for today (will continue with recent Tamil songs in the next post).

17 Comments:

Blogger NS said...

Liked the Parineeta songs a lot, esp Piya Bole... Very melodious number:)

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 2:02:00 AM  
Blogger ioiio said...

Im lagging quite a bit in cinema these days thanks to the new found blogging obsession..

have six to seven films downloaded in comp..havent seen even one of them..

Will check out the ones u specified as good... soon!

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 2:16:00 AM  
Blogger IBH said...

me too...Parineeta likey :)
but others are sure let down..oh! no! D was quite different..i liked it...but u know of all the latest releases of the recent past , I really really like lucky! i know it is bit old but somehow i keep listening to them daily!

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:53:00 AM  
Blogger Art said...

Parineeta -- good music and wonderful movie... Dunno much about the rest :)

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:36:00 AM  
Blogger anantha said...

I loved Raat Chadi in Paheli. I don't remember the rest, cos this song has been replayed a zillion times by me on Winamp, have to seriously listen to the other songs...

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting take Anand!

I love Dus Bahane -- I think even mentioned it earlier on your blog. :)

Yup Deeder De sounds like Sunidhi's other songs from Kaante and Fiza.

You didn't like any of the songs from Paheli?? Kangna Re?? Dheere Jhalna?? I think the songs from that movie are great.

The song that I LOVE from the movie Parineeta you didn't mention. :( Dhinak Dhinak -- its the wedding after song. lol.. its great!! I am going to do a skit on this song on somebody's wedding..i just don't know whose! :P

Good review!

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Justin said...

What do you think of the music in "Maine Pyaar Kyon Kiya"? I've heard 'Just Chill Just Chill' and liked it, but haven't heard the rest.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:39:00 AM  
Blogger Surya said...

He just goes by as Guitar Prassana not Prassana Shekar

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger Surya said...

thamizh paatu kekamaatiya :-)

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Krish said...

Neththikku thaan Indian store poyi Parineeta paththi ketten. Guy drew a blank as though I was talking Greek :-)

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 5:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post. I hear that Parineeta is really good...lots of media coverage too!

Thursday, June 16, 2005 12:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In recent times i dint hear anything better than Parineeta,Heard Paheli,not satisfied but ok kinds,had more expectations and Dus,no idea:)

Thursday, June 16, 2005 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger Akruti said...

that was not anon,it was me,blogger is playing games today:(

Thursday, June 16, 2005 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

anand,
Let me check out Parineeta.
Thanks for the reviews.

Thursday, June 16, 2005 7:49:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Nithya S,
I heard a lot of good things about the movie too.

ioiio,
Yeah I certainly agree! Blogging is an intensive and addictive hobby :-)

Indu,
I like the Lucky Lips song in Lucky. Somehow the other songs seemed to remind me of Adnan's unique use of the tabla, so didnt quite like the rest of them.

Art,
My recent favorite is Dus Bahane from Dus - Quite a peppy song.

Anti,
I liked Raat Chadi a bit, but couldnt really listen to it more than a few times.

Poonam,
Dus Bahane is certainly the best!
Kangna Re and Dheere Jhalna seemed to remind me of other songs like the ones in Lagaan and such.

Justin,
Is it Just-in or Justin? Oh I completely forgot to mention that. That song is really good. The rest of the songs in that film are just avg. ones.

Surya,
Oh I see! This guys is also good. That was supposed to come next, but really didnt get any time to put that up.

Thennavan,
Which village do you stay in? :-)

Mr. Ravi,
Thank you! I hear that the movie is also good. Havent been able to see it yet.

Neelima,
Yeah I also didnt like Paheli much. Parineeta is excellent.

Mr. Narayanan,
Sure, you're welcome!

Saturday, June 25, 2005 4:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice short reviews of the current music. would i be right in pointing out to you that Shubha Mudgal's song is a Qawwali and not a KHawali!!??
excuses if i may seem to split hairs here!!!
shubha is one of my favourite singers out of india.

Monday, July 18, 2005 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Prabz,
Yeah, Shreya is really getting a lot of attention in both Hindi and Tamil music industry off late. I am a bit disappointed with "The Rising", my first few listening havent got me any favorites yet.

Memory Keeper,
Very true. Pardon my Hingligh! :-)

Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home