Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Telugu Movie Review - Anand - Manchi Coffee Lanti Cinema

I was at a friend's place the other day and we were watching parts of this Telugu movie, "Anand". Being impressed with those bits and pieces, me and another friend (this guy has already seen this movie two times) rented out the DVD from the desi store right next to my apt. and watched this outstanding movie. The story is quite simple and the songs are simply superb. Kamaline Mukherjee (I am thinking she is a Bengali), looks awesome in this movie, her acting is alright but her looks and the character that she portrays in the movie completely match with each other. I felt that she was a very good fit for her role in the movie, inspite of her so-so acting (Idlebrain.com tells me that her voice was dubbed by Sunitha - seemed almost seemless). The DVD had subtitles which helped a lot (I learnt a lot of buzz words in Telugu, which I can now use with my golt colleagues). Direction by Sekhar Kammula is top-class. This is more of a director's movie.

Music by K.M. Radhakrishnan is very infectious (Raaga.com search finds only this movie, so I am thinking he is a new guy). I have been listening to the songs for over a week now. "Yamunatheeram" by Hariharan, Chitra and "Nuvvena Naa Nuvvena" by Shreya Ghoshal, K.M. Radhakrishnan are ultra-infectious. So is, "Vachhe Vachhe" by Shreya Ghoshal. Lucky Ali aka Maqsood (s/o of Comedian Mehmood) has sung the "Charumathi, I Love You" song, a decent one.

This is my first full-length Telugu movie and I am really looking forward to more of this kind. Any recommendations? Also, I am surprised why there is no remake of this in Tamil, although I hear from my friend that they are going to remake this in Hindi.

If you are open to watching a sub-titled movie filled with freshness, then I would certainly recommend this movie! ...<Read More>.

PS: "Manchi Coffee Lanti Cinema" means "Like a Nice Coffee".

14 Comments:

Blogger Akruti said...

Yayyyyy,he is now reviewing a telugu movie:D
Yesssssss,it is one of my fav and she is ofcourse a bengali and the movie rockssss:))))
i watched it 6 times already and game for another show also.and music is great and specially yamunatheeram is my fav.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 5:02:00 AM  
Blogger anantha said...

Gemini: Rajini padam pidikkum na, watch Indra and Tagore. Chiranjeevi rocks! Tagore, btw, is our own Captain's Ramana. And Indra is a mix of Padayappa and Baasha.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

watch garana mogudu...remake of ur Mannan with chiru in the lead. rocking movie.
for classics, watch sirivennela for the songs. its amazing.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Vee Cee said...

if age of the film is not important, then watch 'Kshanakshanam' from early 90's starring Venkatesh, Sridevi (yes. the one and only) and Paresh Rawal.
A light-hearted thriller.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 6:02:00 PM  
Blogger Surya said...

Welcome to the GOLT world...enna da, got a telugu chic around..to impress? ;-)

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:56:00 PM  
Blogger Surya said...

Anand was to telugu cinema as Autograph was to Tamil cinema. Both were fresh brewed. Though Anand did not have excellant Acting or big star cast, i felt it was the Story and Music that made the movie a hit through word of mouth.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 7:58:00 PM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Anand, Thanks for the movie review. Was it because it was your name? that you wrote this good review? Just kidding.!

I'll check out the songs and the movie. ( My last telugu movie was Swathi Muthyam )

Thanks again.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005 8:37:00 PM  
Blogger Chinmayi Sripada /Chinmayee said...

Maybe you should watch Shankarabharanam in Telugu :)
Manchi Coffee Lanti Cinema ---> movie like a nice cuppa you mean ;)

Friday, June 03, 2005 2:19:00 AM  
Blogger Chez said...

Telugu movies are really nice usually. I happened to see a lot fo them when i was in college. Okkadu and Muraari are one of the kind. So nice. there are lot other movies too. No wonder, Manchi Coffee Lanti cinema was good.. :-)

Friday, June 03, 2005 9:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Anand..its off the subject...but wanted to know what it means "tested before updated into blogroll"...

how are you going to test?? ;-)

just curious.

Friday, June 03, 2005 4:19:00 PM  
Blogger Krish said...

I am reminded of the Vijaya-Vauhini studios combine that produced a lot of the same-name movies in Tamil and Telugu (like Missiyamma, for example). I have not seen a non-Tamil, non-English movie in quite a while and my last Hindi films, that too on VCD, were Dil Chahta Hai and Lagaan :-) (neither do I watch English or Tamil movies in theater or DVD; only thamizh movies that come in SunTV and if they interest me and the same with English on the regular channels)

Saturday, June 04, 2005 12:37:00 AM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Neelima,
Everytime I listen to the songs, I feel very good. Amazing music!

Anti,
Thanks for the suggestion! Tagore, Indra and Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana are on my Telugu-movies-to-watch list!

Saranyan,
Alright, two more additions. Thanks!

Jaganlee,
I liked Kamalinee in the movie. I didnt really care much about the storyline - it's just a normal story, although it had a message about an independent woman and her decisions in life!

VC,
Thanks! I will add this to my list.

Suri,
Nothing like that. The freshness in the movie is the ultimate aspect.

Mr. Narayanan,
Had it been named Kamalinee also I would have written the same review! :-)

Chinmayi,
Thats right! Those are the good old movies. Thanks, added to the list!
Actually, thanks for reminding - this english translation was from the DVD cover. The sub-titles (and the english translation) sucked big time! Every once in a while, during the movie, I had to pause and seek clarifications from my golt friend.

Magnus Astrum,
Yeah, thats because most of them are from other lang. movies! :-) This is what I saw to my golt friends. Jokes apart, there are many good movies, as I have begun to realize, off late. 2 more to the list! Thanks!

Poonam,
Thats alright! No, thats just to look cool! :-)
I keep it in the testing tab to see if any updates are made to the blog and to see if there are things on it that interest me. I usually take a bit of time to move it up to my blogroll (only because of my laziness).

Thennavan,
I see! You do belong to the older generation, then! :-)

Monday, June 06, 2005 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger Olive International said...

Hi all
I wanna view this movie with subtitles.. Do u know the link.. If s pls let me know so that I could also taste this cup of coffee.(I meant watch this movie)

Friday, July 25, 2008 6:43:00 PM  
Blogger MY VIEWS said...

hi ,
Do you guys know the tamil version (remake)of Anand telugu movie

Friday, October 03, 2008 5:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home