Thursday, May 26, 2005

Movies I watched recently

English
The Incredibles: Good movie! It's been a while since I saw an animation (last one was Finding Nemo), if you havent watched it yet, it's a good watch.

Star Wars - The Revenge of the Sith: The second Star Wars movie that I have seen. The last one was the Attack of the Clones (Back then we all took some time out from work, including the Mgr. and saw a DLP version of it, although I think the Attack of the Clones is better than the latest, maybe because of the War in it). Now I want to try and understand the complete story of Star Wars by watching the other parts (the adv. of watching it in DVD would be that I can see it in the right sequence).

Hindi
Waqt: Pretty good movie. I really enjoyed the comedy in the first half. Comedy by Amitabh, Rajpal Yadav and Boman Irani (His tagline in this movie is "Kuch bhi nahin hai") is excellent. Good acting by everyone. In between, the movie seems to lose it's pace a bit, but catches up well, right away. The last 20 minutes is quite sentimental. Overall a very good watch. Music is good by Anu Malik. He also makes a cameo appearance in one of the songs. All of the songs are good. Subah Hoge - Melodious, Meeraksam and Let's play Holi - Racy numbers, Toot Gayaa - Sad one by Kailash Kher (he was introduced in Swades' Yuhin Chala - he's got a solid voice).

Tamil
Kana Kandein: Excellent Movie! Dont miss this one. Very good acting by Srikanth, Gopika and Prithviraj (He's a Malayalam actor. He is the villain in this movie). Vivek's comedy is quite good. Prithiviraj's acting is very convincing and without any noticeable flaws. Music is also good, by Vidyasagar. Two songs really stand out: Chinna Ponnu by Sayonara Philips and Chinna Chinna by Sunitha Sarathy and Tippu (Harini's husband). The english piece in the Chinna Chinna song is quite funny (just like the one in Tirupachi).

17 Comments:

Blogger Surya said...

Kana Kanden was good, i saw it here in MSP in the theatre, only 20 turned up for the only show, it was sad that a movie like CM can attract a full house, but an all round good one like Kana Kandein pulls in a NILL.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anand:) Haven't seen any of the movies that you listed..but some good ones i can see. :) I have only seen one star wars movie..phantom of the menance..never really got into that..

maybe I will watch Waqt..but didn't think it would be that good of a movie.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 10:57:00 PM  
Blogger Krish said...

I am taking a long break from movies till June 12th :)
Good that u enjoyed these movies..

Friday, May 27, 2005 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger Kaps said...

Kana Kandaen is good. I saw it few days back. Vivek's double meaning jokes are an eye sore. People should take back the "Chinna Kalaivanar" name given to him as he is misusing the title.

Friday, May 27, 2005 1:12:00 AM  
Blogger Maran said...

Most rap lyrics in Tamil songs are borderline obscene. Example 'Bottle mani' song in 'Eithiree'. It has gay lyrics!

Friday, May 27, 2005 1:19:00 AM  
Blogger Sangeeta said...

Hi Anand..I watched Waqt last week..and loved it..espcially rajpal yada, and boman irani..well it's the first akshay kumar movie that i liked after his khiladi...
cant say i liked the songs ..i wished i cd 'fwd' them:p the dialogues were very realistic..not like those hi-fi ones that go over my head:P
overall the movie was good..
guess what? im gonna watch Swades today..

Me gave up with the RSS thing..wonder why I find it so difficult:(

Friday, May 27, 2005 1:42:00 AM  
Blogger Ganesh said...

Twingemini

eppadi kana kanden patheenga
chicagola releasea ?
Here in DC, I think i have to wait for DVD

Friday, May 27, 2005 9:38:00 AM  
Blogger Me said...

i guess you had a good time this week.....ellam movie reviews um good,excellent nu sollirkeenga.....

Friday, May 27, 2005 6:53:00 PM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Incredibles - I watched it 3 times in the theatres and I also bought the DVD. Wonderful movie.

Hindi - Not my cup of Tea.

Kanak kanden - I missed it this weekend at Naz in Fremont. I guess I have to wait for the DVD. I love the song 'MooLai thirugum" by Srinivas/Harini.!
I also read very good reviews.

Friday, May 27, 2005 7:41:00 PM  
Blogger Krish said...

Hi Anand:

You are on camera at Chennai Central's weekend post (sorry to use a canned comment for all the bloggers for informing about that post since I don't have time to write individually to each). That post itself was many hours in the making :-)

Friday, May 27, 2005 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger Cogito said...

"Incredible" was good time pass..An animated anglicized "Baasha" !

Saturday, May 28, 2005 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Suri,
Yeah, I want to find out how well it fared in the box office.

Poonam,
Dont miss Waqt, it's a nice movie.

Krish,
Is that when you are going back to your base?

Kaps,
I didnt find them offensive, as you might have. In fact I enjoyed most of them. But I wouldnt want to debate on the Chinna Kalaivanar title. :-)

Maran,
Oh really?! Didnt realize that. It would be funny to listen to it again and find out :-)

Sangeeta,
I didnt like Boman Irani's acting in Munnabhai MBBS, but this one was hilarious. Swades, for the first time? It's a decent movie to watch.

Ganesh,
Some of these stores have cassettes.

Me,
Yeah off late, it's been a lot of movies and get-togethers.

Mr. Narayanan,
Yeah, thats a nice movie!

Oh thats bad! Some of them might have the cassette, you can probably try that.

Thennavan,
That was a cool write-up! Quite creative!

Ganesh Venkittu,
Yeah, dont miss that movie!

Monday, May 30, 2005 11:15:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Cogito,
Baasha? :-)

Monday, May 30, 2005 11:16:00 PM  
Blogger Ram C said...

regarding your KK review, did you notice that the controversial song's lyrics hv been changed to 'chinna chinna atharangal kaati'...

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 12:14:00 AM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Ram,
Oh I see. Didnt notice that in the movie. I thought "sigarangal" meant faces?

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger The Last Blogger said...

The Incredibles is brilliant. It has so much in it that requires multiple watchings, much like the Matrix. Its as much an adult movie as it is a childrens movie. Great stuff.

I have log stopped watching most of the touted Hindi hits just cos realism is just not there and its as far fetched as it can be. And yes, the movie always seems like an ad for suits and shirts and festivals...every one of them.

I have heard good things about Kana Kandein. Looking forward to seeing it on DVD.

Saturday, June 04, 2005 9:54:00 AM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

The Last Blogger,
Oh really?! I didnt notice that part.
About Hindi films: I see it a bit differently. There are more movies in the Bollywood industry than others, so it's bound to be like that. But I personally dont really bother about it - if it's entertaining (comedy-wise, action-wise or in any other sense - even if lacks a good storyline) I wouldnt mind watching it.

Yes, Kana Kandein is a very good movie (story-wise too). :-)

Sunday, June 05, 2005 11:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home