Monday, May 02, 2005

How a $2 purchase ended with a $55 bill!

I went to Best Buy this weekend to buy a $2 cable for my headset (it's got a single output, but to connect it to my computer I need two seperate outputs - one for the mic and the other for the headphone) and didn't really find it there. Might have to go to RadioShack to get it, but in the process ended up buying the Doom 3 Video game for my Xbox (A $2 intention ended with a $55 bill). I have played the original Doom (was a big fan then) and have also played it over the network at my University and have played many such computer games - Quake, Mortal Kombat 3 (Kun Lao was my favorite character, used to like his powers a lot), Age of Empires to name the very best that still remain in my memory. This one, Doom 3, has been quite good so far. Initially it was a bit slow to start off, but once it started off it was all spooky. It scares you really well with the Zombie kind of characters trying to kill you all along. One cool feature of this game is you can save it anytime just like a computer game (you can't do that in many of the other Xbox games, they let you do only after you reach certain checkpoints).

10 Comments:

Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

I can't comment on games as I don't play any of these handheld games.

But I can tell you how I went for an oil-change and bought a New Minivan.! Yeah..I did.! from the dealership.!!

Monday, May 02, 2005 11:42:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Ha Ha, thats a nice and interesting story!

But seriously, you have to catch up, your girls are growing up - but maybe not many like to play video games like boys do.

Monday, May 02, 2005 11:47:00 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Age of Empires is my fav. haven't played others..stopped playing games :(

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 1:34:00 AM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

I'm still debating on buying a game console. time is a problem :(

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger The Last Blogger said...

The GameCube version of Mortal Combat: Deception has my fave character, Shao Kahn. Otherwise, I prefer Soul Calibur2 to MK. I am not much into the Doom kinda shooters since they give me a headache. I prefer brighter environment based games like Soul Calibur or my latest favorite Viewtiful Joe. I have a GameCube by the way and have a bunch of games that I alternate, in addition to the Blockbuster Game Rentals.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger IBH said...

I can't comment too :) but I know what I did last summer ;))

Wanted to buy a Bose Computer speaker and ended up buying a Bose Home Theater system of Lifestyle 28 :)))

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 2:32:00 PM  
Blogger Krish said...

good :) have fun with that game..i have the cds lying in Chennai..didn't have time to try it out...

AOE,AOK,AoM are my all time fav...

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 8:13:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Me,
You should make time for all these simple pleasures in life :-)

Saranyan,
Time is always a problem, but once you buy a gaming console you will want to sleep lesser and lesser, which will ultimately give you more time to play :-)

The Last Blogger,
Dont remember if Shao Kahn was there in the PC version. Although I remember Sheeva (her powers were pretty easy movements on the keyboard). Xbox is an acquired taste for me, actually. I got it as a Birthday present from my brother and now I am an Xbox addict!

IBH,
The power of marketing!

Krish,
I havent tried AOK or AOM yet. My friend has those, should try it out some day. AOE is an amazing game - slow but very interesting. Builds your logic well. There is also another game like AOE which is based on the greek mythology (cant remember the name), that is also good.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 8:24:00 PM  
Blogger Sriram said...

Kung Lao of all people? Ughh! I prefer Liu Kang. I had perfected a way of defeating opponents (human) in 8 or 9 seconds, wihtout giving them a chance to respond. (I cause Max Damage in one combo :D) as far as Doom goes, I'm yet to try out doom 3. reviews about the game pls!

Thursday, May 05, 2005 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Sriram,
I used to beat Liu Kang with my Kung Lao, buddy! His hat-throw trick is the most powerful one. If you know how to dodge the "Ulugiyalachi" jump that Liu Kang does (with a simple key press and release after 3 seconds), then half the battle is won right there :-)

The game's been good so far. Initially it started off a bit slowly but the minute you start to shoot, the creepiness picks up well. It is scary because of the darkness and the way characters come out of the darkness to kill you. You should try it out.

Thursday, May 05, 2005 1:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home