Sunday, May 01, 2005

How to Recover lost Partitions, unreadable hard disks

UPDATE on my Hard Disk: I finally got the stuff restored. It took me two sleepless nights (literally...I am up till 6am today and it was around the same time yesterday too). Used several softwares (including Knoppix), but none really worked (Knoppix was just able to give me the garbled directory structure, nothing else), except this free GNU based utility called TestDisk (This recovers lost partitions), apparently my Master Boot Record got corrupted, (even after I used the XP's Recover mode to fix it) and that fixed the issue.

They also have another utility called PhotoRec that can recover lost/deleted images from digital camera memory or even Hard Disks. This software was a real life-saver, it really saved my 200GB of hard work! Now, I can finally sleep!

Thank you Dr. Google! (you have saved me again)

5 Comments:

Blogger Akruti said...

Well,u know my capabilities of understanding abt the post,:( all i know is u got back what u almost lost,good,great,wonderful,now u better sleep and takecare:)

Sunday, May 01, 2005 9:45:00 AM  
Blogger Harish said...

Aah. so you are the one who conferred the doctorate.

Sunday, May 01, 2005 10:38:00 AM  
Blogger IBH said...

Where this is google there is a way! :) I am a stronger believe of that :)!!!!!

I know how it feels to be on the safe track when u almost lost those precious stuff from the comp :)

Monday, May 02, 2005 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Thanks for the link to PhotoRec.

My hard disk is filling up fast,thanks to all my digital photos.

I hope I won't need to use this software..!! But it is worth knowing...Just in case.!!

Monday, May 02, 2005 7:26:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Neelima,
Thank you! Usually weekend nights are surfing time or movie time, and on an average it takes 1 or 2 to go to sleep. Thats the typical time for a bachelor to go to sleep here on weekends :-)

Harish,
I now beleieve that most of the common problems, be it related to computers or something else, can be solved with the help of google :-)

IBH,
Very true. It was a total sign of relife for me :-)

Mr. Narayanan,
Yeah, knowing these things always help someday or the other.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 8:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home