Friday, March 25, 2005

Gmail File System

Did you know that you could use Gmail as an extra Hard drive? Each Gmail account is 1 GB in size, and if you have multiple Gmail accounts then it easily adds up some GBs of storage space. GmailFS is a really cool application which has been written in Python, an interpreted programming language similar to Tcl, Perl or Java. It basically provides a mountable Linux File System using your Gmail account.

For the geeky gentlmen/ladies, here is a link that explains it in much more detail and provides the Linux version of it...<Read More>.

For others, here is a link which tells you how to install this application in simple terms and provides the Windows version of it...<Read More>.

This is a hack and is something new, so it might not work as expected or might fail to work completely. Please use your discretion.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow!! GMail-kae aappu?! And with 50 invites in everybody's account, thats UNLIMITED storage literally. Have u tried it out man??

Friday, March 25, 2005 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Praveen

I tried it out with one of my accounts where I dont have anything and it works well. It's really exciting to actally see it working. Try it in one of your unused acounts, I am sure you will like it.

Friday, March 25, 2005 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Praveen

I tried it out with one of my accounts where I dont have anything and it works well. It's really exciting to actally see it working. Try it in one of your unused acounts, I am sure you will like it.

Friday, March 25, 2005 10:41:00 PM  
Blogger satosphere said...

Heard about it a while ago. And wish I had linux.
But I would rather use my flash drive than that.

Friday, March 25, 2005 10:42:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Satosphere

Sorry, I forgot to specify one key piece of info., which is, the second link provides a windows install version. Go ahead and try it out, if you want to.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 4:45:00 AM  
Blogger Sangeeta said...

I had heard about it..but didn't know how to go about it..Now I do..thanks to the useful links on ur site:-)

Saturday, March 26, 2005 5:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really cool find. Downloaded just now, will tell ya how it works in a couple of days :)

oh, Happy Holi btw.

Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:04:00 AM  
Blogger Freeyavedu said...

tried it sometime back. It was very slow then.. Shud check again

Saturday, March 26, 2005 5:11:00 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

To Sangeeta
Sure :-)

To Chandoo
Yeah dude, this thing is pretty cool.

To Freeyavedu
It seemed pretty fast to me, maybe they improved it recently.

Monday, March 28, 2005 12:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home